Augustin Dumay began his career as a conductor aged 17 under the guidance of Herbert von Karajan who mentored him, entrusted him to one of his assistants and encouraged him to direct youth and chamber orchestras. Developing his career as a violinist at the same time, he began to conduct while also playing.
Subsequently, thanks to his recordings as conductor and soloist of Mozart’s Concertos with the Camerata Salzburg for Deutsche Grammophon, “without exaggeration one of the finest Mozart violin concerto discs ever made” (Classic CD), he became an increasingly regular guest of orchestras such as the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, English Chamber Orchestra and Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, leading them in a classical repertoire: Mozart, Schubert, Mendelssohn and Beethoven.
Today his repertoire also includes most of the great symphonic works. For Onyx and as head of the Kansai Philharmonic Orchestra (Osaka Japan) – he has occupied the position of Musical Director since 2011 – he recently recorded Brahms’ Serenade no.1, Beethoven’s Symphony no.8 and Saint-Saëns’ Symphony no.1, in which “his musical direction stands in a league of its own” (Classica).
Over the last ten years, in parallel to his work as a violinist, Augustin Dumay is more and more sought after as a conductor. He has already made some ten recordings conducting the Camerata Salzburg, Sinfonia Varsovia, Royal Chamber Orchestra of Wallonia and Kansai Philharmonic Orchestra. He can also be heard in concert with numerous orchestras all over the world.
– Camerata Salzburg (Austria)
– English Chamber Orchestra (UK)
– New Jersey Symphony Orchestra (US)
– Kansai Philharmonic Orchestra (Japan)
– Sinfonia Varsovia (Poland)
– Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie (Belgium)
– China Philharmonic Orchestra, Beijing (China)
– Guangzhou Symphony Orchestra (China)
– Shanghai Symphony Orchestra (China)
– Jönköpings Sinfonietta (Sweden)
– Orquestra Metropolitana de Lisboa (Portugal)
– Orchestre National d’Ile de France (France)
– Orchestre National de Montpellier (France)
– Orchestre Symphonique de la Région Centre – Tours (France)
– Solistes Européens (Luxembourg)
– Academy of Taiwan Strings (Taiwan)
– Athens Camerata (Greece)
– Orchestre Philharmonique de Liège (Belgium)
– Tokyo Symphony Orchestra (Japan)
– Het Gelders Orkest (Netherlands)
– Orquestra Petrobas Sinfônica (Brazil)
He has also been invited by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
Kansai Philharmonic Orchestra, Osaka Japan
– Principal Guest from 2008 to 2010
– Music Director since 2011
– European tour in 2015 (Düsseldorf, Brussels, etc.)
Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie, Belgium
– Music Director since 2003
– Festivals: Radio France-Montpellier, La Roque d’Anthéron, La Grange de Meslay, Menton, Grands Interprètes Toulouse (France) / Beijing (China) / Bucarest (Romenia) / Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
– Théâtre des Champs-Élysées Paris, Grand Auditorium de Radio France, Auditorium de Lyon (France) / Fondation Gianadda (Switzerland) / Palais des Beaux-Arts Bruxelles (Belgium)